2016 Region 8 Meeting
PMI Region 8 event, October 2016
Written by Alvaro Buxens
The Region 8 meeting took place in Athens the 21st to 23rd of October. PMI Denmark chapter joined the meeting with 5 members together with 176 other participants from PMI chapter’s volunteers in 30 other countries and PMI Europe partners, mentors and administrators.
The goal of the regional meetings is to share ideas, experiences and challenges between the different chapters in order to improve PMI in Europe and ensure growth and best value to all members.
The meeting started with a well organized evening cocktail and networking session Friday evening at the venue of the conference, the Athens Royal Olympic Hotel, with a wonderful view of the Parthenon. During the evening there was opportunity to mingle around and talk with members of other chapters, and meet again some known faces for those that participated in previous regional meetings.
Saturday morning started with an early session for the first-timers with a working breakfast at 7:45, a great idea to introduce those that participated for first time to each other and to the PMI European mentors and staff. The key morning session “PMI and chapters –evolving the profession together” was presented by Joanne Lynch, global manager for Volunteer Programs & Services together with Lysa Drabon, Manager of PMI Europe Chapter Development. The session presented a historical view of PMI and its growth throughout the years and a walk-through of the strategy pyramid of PMI, the core purpose, core values and the value proposition to the PMI members. The day continued with 3 session tracks and 4 sessions in each track until late afternoon. We tried to break up the DK team to attend as many sessions as possible in order to get the best inspiration from the meeting. Topics of the sessions went from initiatives on how to get to know better your members, ethics, sustainable membership, collaboration with universities, project management in schools succession planning within the chapter.
Saturday evening ended with a well organized and very interesting visit to the Parthenon museum and a traditional Greek dinner and dancing in the center of Athens.
Sunday morning started with new sessions at 9:00 AM with 3 tracks and two sessions each, the Danish team managed to participate in the first one but hat to leave for the airport in order to close the weekend and be ready for work the next morning.
Some motivation and inspirational takeaways from the sessions:
- Some PMI chapters are involving retired members as volunteers, these have more time and experience which can be used very positively for the chapter activities
- Promote project management in schools and universities in order to attract PMI members in the future and promote the role of the project manager to the new generations
- Make some special and different events; cocktail or bar meetings, visit a brewery, book review meetings
- Make members aware of the use of the Projectmanagement.com area to interact with others, access great amount of information and for sponsors to load their articles and webinars on project management to reach more than Danish members
- We need to make members be aware of all the benefit s they are entitled too, great presentation from Region mentor Kris Troukens on Sunday morning session